Actym Therapeutics, Inc. is a Berkeley, CA based venture-backed biotechnology company focused on developing novel immunotherapies intended to transform the treatment of cancer. Patients burdened with metastatic disease desperately need new and effective treatment options. Actym’s revolutionary immunotherapy platform is designed to overcome the hostile tumor microenvironment and promote durable anti-tumor immunity. This technology allows for the safe, programmed delivery of multiplexed immunological payloads to tumor-resident immune cells after IV dosing, in a single therapeutic composition. This paves the way for safely targeting immunological pathways that are intractable using conventional small molecule or antibody-based therapeutics due to systemic toxicities, which are of significant interest to the biopharma community. Actym recently completed a significant venture financing backed by top tier investors, and has announced a lead therapeutic candidate for clinical development.
Our people are our greatest asset. They bring scientific talents in immunology, microbiology, molecular biology, protein engineering, cancer biology, gene editing, process development, pharmacology, and clinical development to make the future happen now. Reporting to the Chief Business Officer and working closely with the senior management team, you will be responsible for building, developing, and leading a successful finance and accounting function in a fast-paced pre-IPO start-up.
What We Are Looking For:
- A strategic thinker with the ability to partner and build trust across all levels of the organization
- A detail-oriented, approachable leader who possesses unassailable financial integrity
- A goal-oriented team player who thrives on strong performance and results
- Creative and flexible with the ability to manage changing priorities and deadlines
- A strong leader and manager with the ability to drive accountability across the company
- Highly organized, with strong time management and planning skills
- An effective communicator with excellent verbal and written communication skills
- A highly collaborative teammate who thrives in a scientifically diverse, fast-paced, team-oriented, start-up environment
- A driven and conscientious leader with strong business acumen
What You’ll Be Responsible For:
- Ensure that effective internal controls are in place including compliance with GAAP, applicable federal, state, and local regulatory laws, and rules for financial and tax reporting
- Provide leadership in the development and improvement of internal controls, accounting policies, and infrastructure to support business scale and growth
- Responsible for the company’s monthly, quarterly, and year-end close process
- Maintain and enforce a documented system of accounting policies and procedures
- Plan and manage annual financial statement audits with external auditors
- Oversee regulatory reporting including tax planning and compliance
- Non-Clinical, Clinical/Manufacturing accounting
- Assist with processes for financial forecasting and budgeting
- Manage the company’s equity plan
- Support CBO with preparation of board materials
- Oversee payroll processing and related tax filings
- Prepare the company for IPO
- Establish strong relationships cross-functionally and be the accounting expert for the company
- Perform all duties in keeping with the Company’s core values, policies and all applicable regulations.
What You’ll Bring to the Team:
- People-first approach. You take pride in the way you collaborate and partner with people across the business
- You embrace and embody our culture, people, and vibe
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or related field
- 10 years of progressively responsible experience in a similar role
- Experience with at least one financing event
- Proficient in enterprise resource planning systems
- Strong technical accounting and financial knowledge, including US GAAP reporting requirements
- Ability to work in our Bay Area location (Berkeley, CA.)
- CPA or CMA designation and public accounting experience
- Biopharmaceutical experience preferred
The Ideal Candidate Shares Actym’s Core Values:
- Commitment: We are committed to bringing life-saving drugs to patients with cancer.
- Accountability: We are accountable to each other and accept responsibility for our actions.
- Quality: We are committed to the highest level of quality in our experiments, analyses, and communications with each other.
- We are respectful of each other and the diverse backgrounds that we bring to the team.
- Decision making. Attuned to opportunity, we make intelligent decisions, adapting to create the best outcomes. We are decisive and undaunted by failure. We accept what doesn’t work, learn from it, and get on to what does.
- We achieve our goals together, inspiring, sharing, and creating as a team.
- We do the right thing.
Work is performed in an office and laboratory environment. May be exposed to biological and chemical hazards. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. Light to moderate lifting and carrying objects with a maximum lift of 30lbs. Must be able to work while wearing personal protective equipment such as safety glasses, gloves, and lab coats deemed necessary to protect testing and to protect employees. Work is to be performed on site.
Actym offers comprehensive benefits including 401K, and generous health care coverage with Medical, Dental, Vision plans.
Email [email protected] with your resume and cover letter to be considered. Please also identify the position you are applying for.
Disclaimer: This job description is not necessarily a comprehensive list of all duties and responsibilities. The employer reserves the right to revise key functions of this position at any time. Actym is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.